Saturday, February 04, 2006

A tale of two movies

I watched the movie "The Life of David Gale" last night. I had seen it once before in the theaters, but I will get to that in a minute. What strikes me so much about this movie is how it is two completely different movies combined together.

The David Gale part of the story, played by Kevin Spacey, is an interesting, thought provoking, entertaining look at a antideath penalty activist who's life slips out of control after a false rape charge and eventually finds himself on death row for allegedly murdering and raping a co-activist. I thought this part of the movie was done really well with some great acting by Spacey.

Then there is the other part of the movie. A reporter, played by Kate Winslet, has 3 days to interview Gale before he is executed. In contrast to the other part, the story with Winslet's character is cheesy, over the top and poorly acted. There is also a couple of scenes where she is running that can only be described as comical. One in particular has her running, after her car breaks down, from a rural area to the city with important evidence. I would estimate it was a distance of 5 miles (that is being fair, I would really say 10) and she did this in 20 minutes. That is a pretty good clip for someone wearing dress clothes.

For my birthday I usually go to a movie. This was the movie I went to see when it came out. I was so disappointed that the next week I went to see a different movie. Although I should say that this is almost worth a watch just to see the complete contrast between a well thought out, intriguing story and the normal small minded, simplistic crap they feed to the mainstream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home