Sunday, October 21, 2007

Vicious Circles,

When I arrived at break sometime mid last week, two of the guys were talking to each other in low conspiratorial voices. I made a comment about them passing secrets and they told me, "someone else is getting laid off on Friday. We don't know who just someone." Although a week ago I wrote about how I didn't think I was going to get laid off soon, that had all disappeared last week. Because they were talking in low voices and obviously weren't telling me everything I wondered about my job, but I've been here before so I didn't worry.

Without getting into details some other stuff happened during the week that made me think it was my last and them some other stuff happened that made me think I would be staying awhile. When lay offs start it becomes easy to over read things.

Anyways Wednesday I came down with a very weak cold. By Friday I was worn out and told my boss that I was going to leave at noon. I would've just called in sick, but because I thought I might be getting laid off that day I didn't want to have to come in on Monday and do the walk of shame to pick up my tools. I also figured that this would force his hand, if he was going to lay me off he would have to either do it then or at least say something like, "make sure you see me before you go." Neither thing happened and if fact he told me about some work I would be doing next week.

Later on a fitter walked up to me. I think because he thought I was talking to myself because I was in a small room and the guy I was working with was laying under the duct. Once it was established that I wasn't insane the subject quickly went to lay offs and he told me that one of the fitters jokingly told someone that four tinners and two fitters were going to get laid off. The fitter we were talking to was present and assured us that he said it in a very joking way. Anyways this story went all the way around the job and back to the fitter that originally started the story. So I'm pretty sure I was in the middle of that twisted game of telephone. To my defense the guys that told me were morbidly serious (I would be too if I owned houses as expensive as them).

So in the end I don't really know if anyone got laid off because I was home sleeping when it would've happened.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home