Monday, October 15, 2007

Time Traveler,

The Time Traveler's Wife
by; Audrey Niffenegger

The time traveler's wife is a story about a guy with a genetic abnormality that causes him to time travel. His trips go back to related times in his life, but the story mostly deals with his trips where he visits his wife as a child.

I first came across this book in a writing class I took a few years ago (although it is a very popular book). We read the first chapter for the class and I really liked it. For some strange reason I originally thought the author was a guy. Then I read a sex scene, from the man's point of view, and thought 'this is a girl writing'. I went back and checked it out and found I was right. There was something about the description that just seemed off to me. This would happen a couple more times in the book.

One of the main things about this book is that it is switching first person. Each section starts out with CLARA or HENRY and that is the first person. This makes the story a bit confusing at times, causing me to look back to see who is in first person. At first I really didn't like this, but then realized that this was the only way that she could tell the story from both points of view which made the book much more interesting. Although I think there was some unnecessary switches.

One thing that I really didn't like was she would write in French (maybe Latin too) and not translate it. It was only a sentence here and there, but it still annoyed me.

I also liked that they made one of the main characters a punk, but it was from the 80's which was just a bad time in punk rock.

For the most part I enjoyed reading it. It got a little to love story towards the end and it took a little effort to believe some of the time traveling stuff, but the strength of the story more than made up for it.

And they are making a movie out of it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home