Saturday, April 28, 2007

First sentence,

I just finished listening to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. This technically isn't part of my, reading the books of movies I really like idea. It is more of just a coincidence. I did like the movie and thought Johnny Depp was really good in it, but not being part of the drug culture I didn't get into it as some do. However I think it has one of the best first sentences in a book
"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold"
I rank this third as my favorite first sentence. It probably would rank higher, but once again not being on drugs, especially drugs that "take hold" puts this a little lower.

The second greatest first sentence in a book in my opinion is from the book Post Office
It began as a mistake.
How simple and brilliant and something that is very easy to relate to.

Finally for the best first sentence I will go to the best book ever written The Great Gatsby,
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.
"In my younger and more vulnerable years," how brilliant is that. That line often goes through my head. What better way to describe youth.

I have been searching for a good first sentence to start my book with. Really that is the most important part. If you love the first sentence you will be put in a favorable mood for the rest of the book and more likely to enjoy it. I am still struggling to find my first sentence.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone ever comment? I like the GADSPY quote.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home