Tuesday, October 02, 2007

That was stupid,

Like I said I wanted to see the movie The Kingdom. I saw previews for it early in the spring, before I got back to work. I was really looking forward to seeing it, however as it got closer and I saw some of the television ads I became a little less excited, but still wanted to see it. Anyway it came out last weekend and I went to see it last night. I wanted to go to an early show, hopefully a matinee to get in for a few dollars less, but that is hard to do starting at 7 (some jobs start at 6 making matinees much easier to attend). I settled on a 6:40 start time.

So I pulled into the parking lot and get to the cashier and say, "one for The Kingdom." She says, "The 6:40 at the palladium dinner theater or the 7:45 ultra screen?" I said, "What did you say the 6:40 was?" "Palladium dinner theater, it's a two item minimum... are you going to have soda and a popcorn?" "No!" the candy bars in my pocket will suffice. The next show time being an hour away I walked out. I was pretty pissed, that's too much. Just show the movies in normal theaters and I'll take care of dinner myself. This is a new theater, last time I was there I saw an indie movie and it was in a theater that had only about five rows. Although it seemed promising that it will probably have some smaller budget movies, there wasn't the going to the theater feeling that I pay nine fucking dollars for. It felt more like I was watching the movie at some rich guy's house and I don't like rich people, especially when they don't really exist. So far this new theater really sucks.

So anyways I was pissed off and thought maybe I should just wait for the movie to come out on DVD and I could spend the night reading my book and watching Heroes. I got home and check other show times and made the mistake of deciding to still go see the movie.

I drove out to Delafield. Although I probably would of save a little time going to the later show at the Majestic I was pissed at them and didn't want to give them my money (even thought they were both Marcus). So I go into the theater and there is only one other couple there. That seemed promising. A few more people filtered in during the wait. Then as the commercials started (something else I hate, but I won't get into that now) about five couples came in. Two ladies sat right behind me and another couple sat three seats away. In a big theater with only about ten couples and me there was no reason to crowd me. One of the people that sat right by me was real fidgety and moved around a lot during the movie, that was a much minor annoyance compared to the ladies that sat right behind me and whispered all through the movie.

Anyways, I was expecting a political contemporary movie about the middle east along the lines of Syriana. For about the first two thirds that's what I got. A little far fetched, but still enjoyable. Then the movie digressed into a Die Hard type of shoot' em up movie. As I was watching three FBI agents running around a slum in Saudi Arabia indiscriminately shooting, I thought this must be the part that Bin Ladin wrote. However they did make a good point at the end and did a good job at making it. Maybe I was a bit harsh in criticism because of all hassle involved with seeing this movie, I'll have to watch it again at home away from all the stupid, over priced theater bullshit. More than likely that'll be the last time I go to a theater to see a movie.

So I gave it 3 netflix stars; a wait for rental, but still a decent watch.

On the plus side if IMDB's message boards can be trusted Into the Wild should be out in most theaters sometime mid-October, so I'll be going to the theater again soon.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I checked out the Into the Wild website. Looks good. I think I'm going to get the book and read it during my flight to Annapolis. Let me know when you are thinking of seeing it.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home