Monday, March 05, 2007

Stupid Movies,

I watched two movies recently that I thought could of been really good, but ended up sucking.

Tideland, by Terry Gilliam. This could of been a really good movie if he didn't put the sexual aspect in it. That might sound like a weird thing for me to say, but the sexual aspect is necrophilia, pedophilia and hints at incest. Although I should say it isn't very graphic. I recently mocked the words they use to rate movies, but I agree with these "Rated R for bizarre and disturbing content, including drug use, sexuality, and gruesome situations - all involving a child,"

It could of been a good movie if it was just about the little girl forced to live on her own and befriending the mildly retarded neighbor. But it wasn't instead it was just creepy.

The second movie Flyboys I really wanted to like, but they corned the movie up so much it made my stomach turn. The movie is about a bunch of Americans that went over to France to learn to fly in fighter planes in WW1 before America got involved. Like I said I really wanted to like this, WW1 is often forgotten in the shadow of WW2, but I think WW1 has much more potential for interesting stories. They started the war with muskets and horses and ended it with machine guns and tanks, not to mention the start of air forces. Anyway back to the movie. So there was a good story here, but the shoved every cliche they could think of and made all the real situations so corny I just couldn't buy into them. They had the rich guy who wouldn't share a room with the black guy only to share his expensive liquor with him after the black guy saved his life. The main character was flying his plane to dates without consequences until he almost gets caught by the Germans then the Captain scolds him then gives him a metal. I won't even get into the completely stupid scene with the plane crashing in no man's land. I really wanted to like this, but it ended up being too stupid to be believable.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was disappointed in tideland, beside the disturbing sexaul sitiuation you mentioned but it was kind of boring. Also if this wasn't a gilliam movie i probalbly wouldn't have even seen it. but i try and take something positive out of things, so if your ever hooked on heroin don't have any kids. hopefully his next movie he can go back to what he did in 12 monkeys and fear and loathing. Flyboys sounds like a movie that I would wait for it to be and tv and have a good laugh.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home