Sunday, February 04, 2007

Divided we beg,

I have a hard time understanding the lack of understanding amongst my coworkers for the working cause. I had to listen to a guy last week blame the UAW for the faults of the auto industry. Granted his point that janitors clearing fifty grand a year is probably a small part of Detroit's current dilemma, but that doesn't mean they should be reduced to a wage that only a illegal/legal immigrant would work for. I understand there is a point there, but how is it not obvious to this working man that a much bigger problem is how these companies are being run; astronomical CEO salaries and retirement packages that could feed a small country, plus the complete lack of foresight (who would of thought that an administration full of oil men would cause a spike in gas prices) seem to carry much more blame than a janitor. Maybe I should of spoke up, but I am very unconfrontational at work.

In the fall of 2003 at the lunch table the foreman was talking about some stock he had that had boomed during the 90's and was now falling apart on him. He said something like it seems every time the average person gets a little ahead they take it away. I should of told him maybe it is because every time the average person gets a little ahead he forgets that he is just an average person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home