Sunday, April 02, 2006

My answer to immigration,

This weekend listening to all the talk shows I see that the "keep them out" branch of the republican party is trying to get the working class on there side by saying this will drive down wages and take their jobs and so forth. I would say to these people that the answer to that problem is a good strong union.

About eight years ago I was working on a job and some time in mid morning a bunch of workers whose legal status was questionable came on the job to hang dry wall. After lunch there was a union representative there to check their union cards (they all had them and stayed on the job). In contrast while I was working for a nonunion company there was a large number of workers whose legal status was questionable worked for at least six months. I was working at a different plant at the time, but I heard that INS raided the place and everyone ran every which way. So when the union was involved it took hours to be resolved and when there was no union it took months.

I don't mean to sound against immigration I just want to point out that the best way to enforce this would be to have a strong union. So for all the people against the immigration I think they should take a look at where there representative/state stands on such issues as "right to work" and unions in general.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home