Saturday, April 08, 2006

Liberty and justice for?

As you may of heard Russ Feingold announced his support for gay marriage this week. I came across a interview with Paul Hackett (read the whole interview it is really good) that may give some insight as to why he came out now,
at a recent breakfast he had with U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wisc.

"I told him it's not a discussion about 'I think that you should approve the gay lifestyle.' I'm not going there," Hackett says. "My gay friends aren't going there. My gay friends want to be left alone. They want to have the same rights in their personal relationship as my wife and I have. If you think that's immoral, fine. Rest easy that, if your religious beliefs are 'They're all gonna burn in hell,' let 'em burn in hell. But while we're here on earth, we all get the same rights.
Skipping down a little bit he goes on to say,
Furthermore, stop taking your lens of religion and placing it over the Constitution of the United States and trying to argue that we have to believe it your way, the religious nut way. Let the rest of us Americans worship our god and live our lives in private.
This is how I feel about so many social issues. If you don't believe in gay marriage don't marry someone of the same sex. If you don't believe in abortion don't get one. When it comes down to it the question is very simple; Do you believe in liberty?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home