Monday, September 03, 2007

The Vacation,

Part 3; Todd Harbor,

The next morning we put our packs on for the first real time. Moans all around. I was reminded that when I bought my pack, some years ago now, the salesman didn't really care and never sized me up for the right size pack. I should of walked away, but I tend to be a bit of a one stop shopper. I should of bought a new pack for this trip, but should of's are a waste of breath in the middle of Lake Superior. Anyways we trudged on to Todd Harbor as I tugged and pulled straps trying to get my pack to sit a little more comfortable than it was. The trail was nice and scenic, but the straps grinding into my shoulders made me anxious to get to the next campsite.

We arrived at Todd Harbor campsite in the afternoon and set up our tents to dry them out from the dew they got packed away with in the morning. Then it was on with the swim trunks and right into Superior. Well maybe not right in. I walked out pretty bravely until that point that every man knows takes a little more courage than the rest of the body. A lady who was eating lunch with some guy on shore advised me to just jump in. I told her she was pretty brave for someone sitting on the shore. I finally did take the dive and after the initial second of every inch of my body yelling "what the fuck are you doing?" It felt good. The cold water revived my sore, hot, stinkin' body. Although I must admit I didn't linger long in the amazingly clear waters of the ice cold lake.


After sitting on shore, reading Kerouac and drinking Drambuie, I suggested taking a walk on the rocky shore with my friend Adrian. Aaron was sleeping, he slept a lot and wondered why he couldn't sleep at night. Anyways Adrian and I went on what would be known as "the boatless booze cruise" (stolen from a Lawrence Arms song). It's great fun to walk on the rocks while drinking. However I was a little tired from the walk during the day, lost my footing and fell. The only mistake I made was handing off my camera seconds before to an asshole that thought it would be funny to take a picture. I meant to punch him while he was sleeping, but I fell asleep to quickly. The fall for the most part was pretty harmless. I scraped my ankle, which worked out pretty good for the flies the next night when they discovered this was an easy way to get at my inner juices and got a pretty good bruise on my leg, but no Drambuie was spilt.

We returned and made dinner. Some lady came over to tell us her radio told her thundershowers were expected that night and all next day. We thanked her for the heads up, although it all ended up being a big lie.

We watched the sun set as Adrian made a rock cairn just off the shore. Although it made for good pictures I'm sure this will be the cause of many hikers to march out into the lake never to be seen again. The mystery will baffle experts for years until waves knock the rocks down, leaving only a Bermuda Triangle type legend behind.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home