Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Vacation,

Part 1; Getting there.

Due to years of layoffs and general job uncertainty I haven't taken a vacation in years. More specifically I haven't taken a backpacking trip to Isle Royale doing the Minong Ridge trail that I've wanted to do for some time. This winter, even though I was laid off at the time, I said fuck it this is the year and made plans for this long over due vacation.

And thank god I did. I went to work in early spring and have been working ever since, plus I've been doing a lot of work around the house, so I really needed this trip. I planned if for the end of summer August 24 thru the 31 which would work out good for hiking conditions, but bad for wishing my summer away. Finally the day came and I was free from the shackles of routine life for a week into the woods for some good old away from civilization recuperation.

However getting there had it's problems like getting stuck in a downpour while doing some last minute shopping, piss poor dishwasher edict, disputed hotel fair and a meal from the worst waitress on the face of the planet causing me for the first time in my life to leave a restaurant without leaving a tip.

But Saturday morning arrived and I was on the dock with my pack all ready to go to the island...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home